Monday, February 21, 2011

Looking After Stuff

I've spent most of my life looking after the stuff that most of you toss out and never pay much attention to where it goes or what happens to it. I've been fortunate to work with people who try new things and share their knowledge about what works and doesn't work. One of the things I have spent time learning about is litter control and waste management facilities, or more specifically, at landfills. Much of what I have learned is from the landfill operators who have been frustrated by this never ending challenge, but who have been inovative in their ways of controling this perpetual problem.

Litter control at landfills takes an effort to understand wind patterns and know where and how to operate and use these patterns to advantage. It takes knowledge on how to handle waste in windy conditions and knowledge of fencing systems to trap litter and sheltering methods to prevent litter from blowing.

Over a period of time, I hope to share what I have learned, and I hope that you will, in return, share your experiences and knowledge.

No comments: