Monday, October 10, 2011

Web Information on Litter Control at Landfills

Have a look at this cartoon.   Makes you think. 



I've been searching on the web for papers, articles, presentations, and any other sources for information on litter control at landfills.  I do come across litter control descriptions on web pages for specific landfills, but they typically only offer a generic description of their litter controls.  I'm betting that if you talked directly to the site operators, you'll get more descriptive information on what they have done, what works, what doesn't work, and what they actually do.  

Periodically, I come across a presentation by a consulting company describing litter controls for a landfill design project.  I have yet to find a consultant who describes a litter control method that is much more that stating they will install litter control fences and include a litter retrieval program.   I don't want to suggest that all consultants gloss over litter controls, but I rarely come across an  landfill design that effectively addresses litter control systems. 
For example,  I just read an engineering summary for expansion of a landfill that I am somewhat familiar with.  The existing site is exposed to windy conditions and I've seen severe wind-blown litter issues at the site.  The plan shown by the consultants basically acknowledges that litter is an issue, but the mitigative measures described are  basically a description of what currently exists.  In this case, I would think that there needs to be more attention paid to the litter control program.  Perhaps this will be better addressed in the operations plan.   Let's hope so. 

I came across four articles that I think are worth a read.  I've given you the title and the web link so you can read for yourself.  


Wind, Wings, and Waste (Robert Johnson, Waste Age, June 1, 2009)

http://waste360.com/Landfill_Management/managing-birds-blown-landfill-litter-200906

Dust in the Wind (Michael Fickes, Waste Age, June 1, 2010)

http://waste360.com/Landfill_Management/nuisances-201006


When it comes to controlling litter, good fences make good neighbors (Neal Bolton, MSW Management, September-October, 2004)

http://www.mswmanagement.com/september-october-2004/controlling-litter-good.aspx

Who Says You Have a Litter Problem (Neal Bolton, MSW Management, July-August, 2000)

http://www.mswmanagement.com/july-august-2000/a-litter-problem.aspx

No comments: